David Fox and Annie (Larris) Fox in Italy in September!

Sounds like a missed something super exciting. Like a Warhol movie or something.

I thought you were going to say like a @Sushi video. #ohnohedidnt

Except I didn’t need to wait for an hour ! :smile:

I was trying to drown Zak, which is possible too

Well sure, if you jump without the pillow it only takes a short while. But I was trying to reproduce a bug in the FM-Towns version in the C64 version. (Not a bug in C64.)

So what did you do then? Not take the cushion with you? Is that even possible(don´t you have to pick it up to get the lighter and then automatically keep it)?

Yes it is, but it is unlikely a lot of people do that. Same as waiting for a full hour.

Do you have to get rid of it somehow? I thought Zak keeps it when you search for the lighter in the plane?

It’s really simple; just get rid of the cushion. Burn it (doesn’t work), sell it (doesn’t work),…

just give it to Annie

4 Likes

So if it is not a dead end what about the parachute?

what about it?

Oh yeah, I think Zak gets to keep it. But I´m pretty sure the guy in the biplane only has one (also wouldn´t give one to Annie I think). There was something about it but can´t quite remember at the moment.

well, for the ones with no result it is the journey that matters, not the destination :wink:

Also note that you cannot reproduce this in the FM towns version as far as I can see… for the simple reason that they removed the frame of Zak in bed . Trying one more time with an older savegame before I got what I needed from that place.

Ha, discovered another thing… Try to get Annie to learn how to use the blue crystal…

2 Likes

I remember it!! I did it the first time I played on C64, and I had no idea of what to do! I stayed there, thinking… until it happened what you just discovered!
I totally agree with you, this is why I LOVE Zak!

3 Likes

I remember it vaguely too … (that the dolphin takes you home, but I can’t remember the hospital bill.)

nope… in the FM towns it is really a dead end… but Zak doesn’t drown either (if the dolphin is there)
I tried it both with and without the blue crystal. With isn’t a dead end of course…)

So question to @David: why was the animation of Zak lying in his bed cut from the FM Towns port? Japanese Censorship? Disk space? It seems it was taken into account that cutting this also removes that alternative escape route. Perhaps they first cut the animation; then saw that the game crashed when looking for that one and “fixed” it by just giving Zak unlimited water treading powers?

1 Like

I don’t know. I didn’t work on the FM Towns version. I know they also changed the opening sequence.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t work on the FM Towns version, but perhaps you were consulted on these major changes.
Guess not :wink:
Also I liked the order of the original opening sequence better…perhaps it was changed because people forgot about their assignment when it was interrupted by that dream sequence? As I said above, I think both changes were probably related, why would they otherwise have bothered with changing the scripts like that if not for simply not having any drawing of Zak in bed? Although there is one on the very first title screen…

1 Like

I remember being “consulted” after they finished changing it. They had their reasons, but I don’t remember what they were. I too prefer the original (which is why I coded it that way). Walking around Zak is an “actor” with a costume. Zak in the bed was a background graphic that I animated with a script (like Sushi and the cat clock). So maybe they just didn’t want to bother animating it?

There may also have been directions or requests from Fujitsu, since they were paying us to do the port to their platform.

5 Likes

I just checked all versions… none of them are animated actually. I was convinced that the C64 version had the bed sheet rising and falling with Zak breathing, but that must have been my imagination filling in missing details using that great snoring sound effect.
C64:

DOS:

FM Towns

4 Likes

just for fun…

4 Likes