How is the weather (right now)

indeed.

indeed.

I don’t know if it’s just the italian version of google translate… give it a try

I’ll listen to the sound clips when I get home :slight_smile:

I find these errors interesting, along with arietta the other day. There must be something in the algorithm of Google Translate that is causing them to happen.

Exactly. :slight_smile: Some/most algorithms are based on phonemes. If the algorithm chose the wrong phoneme, the pronunciation is wrong.

1 Like

Now you’re going to hate me, but I changed the category for your topic. I thought the background color of off-topic matched your starting image :yum:

1 Like

That’s why you changed it? :joy:

2 Likes

Clearly american english. In british english you wouldn´t speak the r. It would be more like “Moe-ah”

We don’t need any categories because each thread covers itself several topics! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Quick! Post a picture of English lawn!

Yes, I admit that I haven’t found an English speaker. Even dict.cc has only an American native speaker. Maybe Mr. Google could find another one. :wink:

1 Like

mrlawnmower

@Gffp: shouldn’t the category be green, for lawn? :rofl:

3 Likes

I believe all soundclips on leo are british english.

Yes! Excellent! Now we are ready for the “Hint” category! :slight_smile:

(but we could split up the discussion about the English pronunciation into an own thread. I think it is worth here, because questions about pronunciation are arising frequently in this forum… @Calypso ?)

No. He is also saying “Lohnmauer”: lawnmower - LEO: Übersetzung im ­Englisch ⇔ Deutsch Wörterbuch

Or we could rename the thread “The current weather, pronunciation, and lawns.”
Actually, I think your idea is better :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Back on topic:

Same window and view as yesterday (also I belive that´s the moon).

1 Like

So, it’s “Spring” Break this week. But this is what we woke up to this morning in NY City:

3 Likes

Same here, though I know people who would say it the other way. If there’s a variation with how a certain word is pronounced I tend to use the one with more syllables, just based on where I’m from I guess.

One thing that’s really bugging me lately is the way my colleague says ‘yesterday’. The intonation’s all wrong - she says ‘yesterDAY’ instead of ‘YESterday’. Why?!

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like

It’s an absolute disgrace. Shame on you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Kind of mixed here today. I think it’s raining out the back but not the front. That happens a lot and I find it really weird.

3 Likes

I mean come on, that song made that pronunciation canon!

3 Likes

Exactly! Imagine if the lyric was ‘yesterDAY, all my troubles seemed so far aWAY’!

This will be my evidence, should we ever have a heated discussion about it.

3 Likes

Yeah that would change the melody too. Just ask people to hum it and point out the corresponding syllable where they should have gone up but didn´t obviously.

1 Like