Kellogg's coupons

Glad to hear it!

That was really funny :laughing:

1 Like

Unfortunately most/a lot of British comedy TV shows were dubbed and lost IMHO their charm and humor. For example Fawlty Towers is much more funnier in English. Another problem is that we won’t see a lot of those great TV British shows. So: Do you have any tips for me?

btw: “Manuel” is actually a German actor. :slight_smile:

I don´t know, I think Monty Python in german is pretty great.

1 Like

Hehe - yes. :wink: But they did only one episode AFAIK. And even it is funny to hear them in German, I still prefer the original. :slight_smile:

Actually, I don’t really watch TV. The two programmes I would recommend have already been mentioned - Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

I first discovered Blackadder during my English Language sixth form class. We were doing a module about language change, and they showed us a clip involving Samuel Johnson’s dictionary. Over time I managed to find seasons 1 to 3 on videos in charity shops, and that’s where I picked up Fawlty Towers as well.

No way! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Coincidentally these two comedy series are the only two that the German TV showed in English. :slight_smile: Sadly we have to import most of the English TV movies and series, especially if we would like to watch them in English…

The actor told that on one of the DVDs in an interview. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. It’s “humour” :slight_smile:
  2. I’ve never heard Fawlty Towers in German but I’ve seen and heard localised versions of Little Britain. It’s horrible!
1 Like

Oh dear…

I think Oliver Kalkofe speaks one of the characters.

I already recorded the Lord Of The Rings page. I can always do The Raven later.

1 Like

I´m posting this here hoping that this way most people will miss out on it. :flushed:

4 Likes

Now I’m even more tempted to change the title. :stuck_out_tongue:
Kellogg’s Coupons, Language Tea Lines, and Look At This Thing Milan Made!

4 Likes

“humor” is american english according to my dictionary.

I’ve heard the English and the German version of Little Britain. The German versions were translated and spoken by Oliver Kalkofe and Oliver Welke (two well-known German comedians) and I liked their translations and especially their voice acting.

They also did Mystery Science Theater 3000 the movie. It´s actually pretty good in it´s own right, though not even close to the original.

“learned poorly British English” I have to add :wink:

I don’t remember if it were those voices (maybe they were the only German localisations of Little Britain anyway). I knew the original beforehand and when I saw those German version I really didn’t like them.

1 Like

Yes! We learned a lot of stuff normal people don´t say at all. I noticed @someone using the word “pupils” instead of “students”. It is correct, but I´ve rarely ever seen that word used by native speakers.

I’ve also learned the word ‘pupils’ and wouldn’t say ‘students’ to younger ones (I use them like the German words Schüler - Student).
With native speakers you also include British ones?

“I don´t claim to be an A-student” Sam Cooke - What a Wonderful World

I also haven´t heard the word “Parkland Pupils” once in the past few weeks.

But that´s all american.

I´m thinking if either these words appear in The Wall to think of a british example, but I can´t think of one right now.

Wikipedia also suggests that the word pupil is mostly outdated now.

Actually my English teacher was a nice guy but not a good teacher at all. (And I really think about to take an English course again.)

Same here: For me pupils are the little children going to school while “students” is the generic term.

@tasse-tee and @PiecesOfKate: What’s the correct use of pupils and students? :slight_smile:

I’d agree with that. ‘Pupil’ for schoolchildren and ‘student’ for anyone studying something.

3 Likes