Monkey Island Fan translation

Me neither, but the reason is simply that it doesn´t work as a pun since file (Feile) and file (Akte) don´t sound alike in german.

If it were up to me I´d probably play on the german word for “violet” which is “veilchen” and he could probably suggest to look in the Melée woods for it.

But again I don´t remember if that is what Boris did (think not though).

In such cases Boris sometimes used a completely other, German pun.

yeah, well I just wanted to know what that pun was - if any
In Dutch, the words “vijl” and “dossier” are also totally unrelated
And the only word that comes to mind that closes resembles “vijl” (file) is (horny)… so no :joy:

1 Like

Sure, but in this case it´s about a specific item. I really can´t remember because it hasn´t occured to me to ask that guy for the file in a very long time (because I know he doesn´t have it. :))

1 Like

I think I will go with “veiling” (sale/auction), which is pretty close to the plural of a file …“vijlen”.

It would play out something like:
“I am looking for some (vijlen) auction?”
“The auction of used ships at Stan’s? Or the auction of stol… I mean… lost & found items over at the Sheriff’s?”
"No, the metal raspy kind of files (vijlen)

English:
Guybrush: Do you have a file?

Citizen: Financial files on Stan’s Shipyard?
Citizen: Personnel files for the Sheriff’s Department?

Guybrush: Actually, I meant the raspy metal kind.

German:
Guybrush: Haben Sie eine Feile?

Citizen: Pfeile? Das ist ein Piratenspiel, kein Western.
Citizen: Oder meintest du eine Nagel-Feile?

Guybrush: Fast, vielleicht eine große stabile, zum Öffnen von Schlössern?

translated from German:

Citizen: Arrows? This is a pirate game, not a Western. [The citizen misheard ‘Feile’ (file) as ‘Pfeile’ (arrows)]
Citizen: Or did you mean a nail file?

Guybrush: Close, maybe a big, solid one, for opening locks?

Italian:
Guybrush: Hai una lima?

Citizen: Ho limaccio, pasticci finanziari sul Cantiere Navale di Stan.
Citizen: Ho limaccio sul Dipartimento dello Sceriffo.

Guybrush: In realtà intendevo una striscia di metallo ruvida.

Google translated from Italian:

Citizen: I have lasso, financial messes on the Stan Shipyard.
Citizen: I work on the Sheriff’s Department.

Guybrush: Actually, I meant a strip of rough metal.

3 Likes

Whoa, I had no idea. I’ve never played MI in English, and now I don’t remember how it is in Italian, but given the horrible history of translations and adaptations in Italy, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did not understand it was a joke.

I’ve added the Italian version, but maybe you have a better English translation than Google…

Looking at wiktionary (limaccio) the Italian translation doesn’t look that bad!

That could work in Dutch.

Also, I realize this is a month late for @Sushi but maybe something stupid along these lines?

Heb je een goede rasp?
Wat zeg je, Stan z’n aktentas? De personeelsbestanden in de kast?

1 Like

Dutch never ceases to amaze me in that I got at least half of that! :slight_smile:

• rasp = Raspel I believe, so you got that
  • Aktentasche is probably proper German?
  • kast = Schrank, so that doesn’t quite work, but Kasten is a related word that means something like “case” if I’m not mistaken.
    The shared meaning/etymology might be “something that is square”?

tl;dr something like this:

Do you have a rasp/grater?[1]
What did you say? Stan’s briefcase/file bag? The personnel files in the cabinet?[2]

1. Grater can be more or less a synonym for file. The proper English term in the context of woodworking is probably surform (surface former), but English also has a word rasp meaning coarse file.
  2. Except now it’s the word cabinet that’s similar to bag and grater.
1 Like

If anyone out there knows how to swap the verb positions, the translation of Monkey Island to Dutch will be finished just in time for Christmas.

4 Likes

That’s good news.
Why do you need to swap verbs?
And… when will the talkie version available? :sunglasses:

1 Like

If you are able to do that, I suggest you to write only the verbs in the grid, while adding the prepositions (naar, met) to the name of the object when building the command sentence, thus obtaining a more balanced composition of the verb grid.

1 Like

Probably because Gebruik doesn’t fit where it’s currently located but would if you swapped it with Neem, plus it’d look more balanced.

Hanteer, pas toe, benut… well, I guess benut might fit but I’m sure @Sushi rejected it for sounding slightly odd. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, I see.

because the K of “gebruik” is behind the inventory scroll bar

because the prepositions are there in English too. (Talk TO, Look AT)
If I could/had to hack the engine, I’d just change the positions

1 Like

7 Likes

Finally I got those darned engine hard-coded prepositions translated too! (plus I moved the verbs around)

Also here, the verbs are finally in the right places

9 Likes

Ahem, that Garfield?

2 Likes