My personal wish for the "Ransome uncensored" update

Hello folks,

The Alien Mindbenders Turnabout is ready!
Look how this forum topic has been translated in an Ace Attorney case!
Starring me, @Gffp , @milanfahrnholz , @Nor_Treblig , @besmaller , @Ema and @RonGilbert .
Enjoy! --> The Alien Mindbenders Turnabout

[Tech note: please enable Flash and Javascript on your browser]

3 Likes

Ransom is censored but Ray goes and says “bullshit” :smiley:

If you couldn’t see The Alien Mindbenders Turnabout trial mentioned above, it was because of technical difficulties of the hosting website.
Now everything seems to be fine.
Please let me know if you are experiencing difficulties, thank you!

I have never (seriously) played “Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders” but it’s extremely obvious to everybody that the title means "Zak McKracken and the alien guy whose name is ‘Mindbenders’ ".

2 Likes

Maybe the original title was Zak McKracken and the Graverobbers from Outerspace*
*whoever gets that reference will be awarded with an invisible cookie

Ok, just as like the TWP spin off “Ransome and the mime Mine”

1 Like

I eventually succeeded in playing the trial. It’s a lot of work! Very nice!

1 Like

This was awesome!
And I had the best music :desert::horse_racing:

2 Likes

:grinning: The wise-ass kid!

That’s definitely me, at age 6. The teachers hated me… :joy:

1 Like

Eheh, I didn’t know! But somehow, I felt that Cody Hackins (aged 7 in Ace Attorney) could be…you! :slight_smile:

Alien has been used as a noun for around 700 years, and has been used in the sci-fi sense since 1953.

That´s interesting, and wouldn´t be much surprising either. Are you referencing specific writings with those dates?

I was referring to an online etymology dictionary. It didn’t show specific examples, so I have to trust their research.

Alright then, but I´d like to see some examples because the story “The movie Alien brought the word “alien refering to extraterrestials” into common language” is an oft repeated and common one and I yet have to see a 1950s sci-fi movie where that word is used in regards to extraterrestials. I also wouldn´t be surprised if there were some examples, though. Maybe in literature and not in movies.

Mind you the term “Illegal Alien” is excluded from this.

Here’s a link to a story called “Dead Giveaway”, originally written in 1959, that mentions aliens:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24054/24054-h/24054-h.htm

And here’s a link to a page that had literary excerpts that pointed me toward that story:

http://www.finedictionary.com/alien.html

It looks like there are probably other examples to be found based on info there, but I stopped at the first reference I could verify.

Thank you, that´s certainly interesting. Still it seems the usage has considerably increased since the late 70s early 80s. I also think they never claimed to invented or redefined the word, just highlighted a certain aspect that was used a lot less before that.

Today when you ask anyone on the street for their first assocication with the word alien they would probably think of extraterrestials and not immigrants. That might have been different in the 1950s.

But maybe someone whose first language is english would disagree, I don´t know.

Sorry I didn’t jump in earlier. I think several of you got the intent of the title. The Caponians are aliens/extraterresterials and they bend minds with their machines (we only see one of these machines in the game, but it’s a world-wide epidemic, so there are likely hundreds or thousands of them situated at strategic spots around the planet), so they are Alien Mindbenders. The machines, coincidentally, are also called mindbending machines.

6 Likes

Check this out. Guess we’re not the first to wonder about usage as alien=extraterrestrial:

Thanks for confirming! My point was however that refering to them in-game as Mindbenders would have given them too much credit because where would they be without their fancy machines? I also rechecked the recorded message in the face on mars and at one point the Skloarian refers to their race as “the ancient ones”. This game is even more Lovecraftian than I thought!

That´s funny that the poster to ask this question, almost used the exact same wording as I did.

1 Like

@ZakPhoenixMcKracken acquitted!

1 Like