News! Update? DLC?

Am I the only fool in here who thinks that all the changes (toilet paper, in-jokes, and playable characters talking to each other) are totally worth the time spent working on them?

1. Toilet paper orientation: an ironic option, a nice marketing move (given the spread of comments on the matter on social networks), strictly to my experience I would never have even noticed it, but I liked the way the devs handled this thing, and it makes me laugh, which is good;

2. In-jokes: I felt they were a little too much; also together with fourth-walling and meta progression of the story that starts pretty early, the whole could create a danger of lower involvement in the player, especially the newbie player. The timing was perfect 'cause most of the backers and long time fan completed the game before, so its being unselected as default is addressed to new players, and itā€™s good. The option also add motives for replaying the game, itā€™s self-ironic and nice. I donā€™t really get the point about critics on the options. Itā€™s an option, itā€™s an added value: enable or disable at your choice.

3. Playable characters talking to each other: this improvement has got a great potential. This can add lot of liveliness to interactions between characters in the context of common goals of the story. Iā€™m eager to play the updated release :grinning:

5 Likes

Am I the only fool in here who thinks that the in-jokes were not annoying at all?
I loved each of them!
I agree with you on each point.

4 Likes

I love the game as it was shipped in the first place. I feel that it was made especially for me. And I will always be grateful for this. Please let Ron take a vacation finally. He and his team earned it so much.

And @RonGilbert, even though we are just ā€œfriendsā€, you can crash on MY couch anytime youā€™re in my town. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No.

The problem is: The reviews and ā€œletā€™s playsā€ complaining about the in-joke are out there. And I doubt that the reviewers will update their reviews. :slight_smile: So letā€™s hope that the in-jokes-option wasnā€™t added too late ā€¦

To my perception most people complained about the constant fourthwall breaking (before they knew how the game would end) and less about the references to old games plots and characters. Most people were like ā€œI know IĀ“m playing a game and yes I see the devs worked very hard on it, contratulations now let me play the game!ā€(paraphrased from an actual steam review) but maybe my perception is just off (which wouldnĀ“t be new to
me).

For the reviews, yes it definitely was. I donĀ“t think there will too many reviews on the game anymore (we live in fast times) and the old reviews will not be changed.

And I still wonder if people who had a problem with the in jokes and had the update during their first playthrough (I also think itĀ“s those people who are less likely to check their menu for changes, and the steam note was only added weeks later) took any notice at all, like ā€œoh good now that IĀ“m late in a game all of a sudden there is less in jokesā€. My money is on ā€œno they didnĀ“t noticeā€.

However this was done for the hardcore fans who can switch it back on if they like and all the others wonĀ“t mind it all. So the harm that was done equals the title of the first novel of the guy who wrote the book I got my avatar picture from.*

*Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis, the picture is from American Psycho

1 Like

Yes and no: If someone new to TWP stumbles over the game, he/she/it will search on Google more informations. And then the old reviews come up ā€¦

But that might be different on the mobile platforms. Android and iOS user are reading other websites than the PC and console gamers. So maybe it wasnā€™t too late to introduce the in jokes optionā€¦ :slight_smile:

Those ā€œindepthā€ reviews on the googleplay site?!:rolling_eyes:

Ah well, maybe youĀ“re right . Maybe on those platforms it will get a different sort of covfefeā€¦

Yes, you will have new reviews in the shops for Apple and Android.
And even on Steam there were more than 10 new reviews posted in the last 4 days!

Yes. And at least in germany we have different websites specialized on mobile phones.

IĀ“m really looking forward to see how much of an impact TwP will make on the mobile market.

I really donĀ“t think this is a mobile on the go kind of game but then again I know absolutly nothing about that kind of stuff.

1 Like

A lot of people used to read books when using public transport (pre-smart phone era), so why not!

Adventure games are very popular on mobile platforms (including tablets).

Oh, I totally get that from a technical stand point. Less like point and click less like and more like tap and swipe.

Never understood that either. I tried but could just never concentrate and looked out of the window instead. I also generally prefer reading at nights, just like adventure gaming.

Point and click adventures are working quite well on tap and swipe devices. :slight_smile:

I could definitely see myself playing Thimbleweed Park on my iPad while sitting on the sofa or outside on the veranda with a nice cool drink or three. :slight_smile:

-dZ.

Yeah technically it works great because you donĀ“t need too many commands. IĀ“ve seen much more complicated games on smartphones and they sometimes add virtual buttons because it wouldnĀ“t work otherwise or even remove features. Sometimes they have to remove more elaborate parts of the game mechanic because it would be near impossible to do when playing on the phone.

IĀ“m really curious if the specks of dust will still be included in the mobile versions.

Maybe they are replacing them with dust bunnies.

Another reason not to play for me, I have enough of those at home!

I used to read quite some Discworld books during commute, using the slower route when going home (30min in a tram). People sometimes look confused due to all the giggling but who cares :slight_smile:

Then you have to work longer so you can commute at night :slight_smile: