Patch for cd version

I personally think that the DVD in the box is primarily eye-candy. It completes the box as a collector’s item, while downloading the latest version from GOG in order to play the game is very satisfying. Once Ron announces that the final update is up, I’ll burn it on DVD, just for a “guaranteed” future.

1 Like

I thought about a DVD-RW too but the colours.

The DVD is okay, a compromise most people can life with but it doesn’t click like the best possible solution [more like a E^2=(mc^2)^2 without the relativistic aspect]. The DVD has a historic value but it’s less practical. A customized USB stick on the other side … I favour this over a DVD + floppy disk combo. The Lynx cartridges were relly neat. Switch cartridges are nice too.

I’m aware of the pros digital downloads offer but somehow I enjoy the idea of ‘owning’ games like having a bowl of candies/marbles. It’s compact but there is still diversity. It’s nice looking at and inspiring when revisiting your memories. You can put your hands into the bowl, play with those games between your fingers (it’s tangible) and fish something out: Hey, there is Bomberman. Oh look, Chip’s Challenge. God, I was awesome when I broke Kill Skill’s Highscore.

Maybe it’s something you should do on your own (your top 101 games, dunno how hard it would be to find a nice form, tasty colours and get cool labels done).

[These physical things mostly only last for a limited amount/space/time. You might want to imagine a virtual bowl as well. ‘Susan, I feel retro today.’ or ‘Go wild baby!’ Then making a selection from the preselection and placing that (un)real object (representing an ID) next to your system (or just saying you want this, defining stuff: toothbrush equals Tetris), which takes care of the rest. Maybe the information is this dense (and the games are still simple enough) that a small cube represents all games at the same time. Maybe an AI creates the game you by the atttributes you describe on the fly for you. Maybe the AIs are busy playing games on their own and you’ll have to fall back to your stupid USB sticks. … I enjoy the idea that Ron Gilbert is done with making games for humans. Nickle News: From now on Terrible Toybox is making games for robots, only. And then the positronic crowd ends up being just as picky as humans.]

1 Like

There is no guarantee a stamped DVD would last 20 years either. Chances are pretty good, but not at 100%. I’ve seen DVDs oxidizing to death due to bad sealing. I’ve also seen DVDs cracking due to bad gluing. Fortunately, those are rare occasions.
But since hard drives become cheaper and bigger all the time, it might be a good idea to start backing up your collection on them.

1 Like

This may be true but besides *-R and *-RWs I also wouldn’t trust USB sticks or SD cards for long term storage.

Whoops, that was the game I meant when I wrote about KING Art Games. It’s definitely a way to get all the boxes and feelies out on release day without any headaches. They also were very clear about this during the Kickstarter campaign.

You can google this.

Watching a needle carving its way into vinyl (on a cheap record player/bad needle via an electron microscope) can give you an idea of transitoriness.

Of course, don’t trust any media. I would backup important data on multiple media of different kind. And check their condition once in a while.

1 Like

Which reminds me of a video I’ve recently watched:

1 Like

I cant’ believe it! :smiley: :smiley:

Watching how this ruins a record and the combination of low quality, panning and doppler makes it rather crazy.

Perfect christmas present for people you don’t like.

1 Like

Drawback: It only works on people having (and valuing) such records, this reduces the pool of people drastically.

There is also a tear-down video showing they have mounted the speaker on top rather on the side. At least they have tried :slight_smile:

True but it might be a valid option because the percentage within the relevant fraction could still be high enough.

I like the ez muzak vibe from 4:44-4:51. The sound at the end of your second video was cool, video related it triggered this one.

my ears are still bleeding…

Mission candy/games bowl - okay, let’s do this!

People look weird at you when you get this many usb-sticks.

Next step will be choosing the games … hmmm.

$64 Thimbleweed Park
$63 The Witness
$62 Gauntlet II (Arcade)
$61 Chip’s Challenge (Lynx)
$60 Ye Rapids (Arcade)
$5F The Cave
$5E Doom 3
$5D Torchlight II
$5C Sam & Max - Hit the Road
$5B The Bard’s Tale - Tales of the Unknown (Amiga)
$5A “Now that the statue is done, we must do something ceremonial.” (Amiga)
$59 Legend of Grimrock II
$58 Moon Patrol (Arcade)
$57 Bioshock
$56 Dig Dug (Arcade)
$55 Robotron 2084 (Arcade)
$54 ▊

Hi,

I only have the latest version of the game, never had any older versions before the arcade was added, and I’m curious - how exactly the arcade was blocked in older versions? Did the shovel never appear outside the mansion, or the arcade was locked like in Casual mode? Or both?

Both. No shovel appeared and no access at all to the arcade room.

I didn’t know that!

Well… Doug had one. :wink:

OK, I’ll be precise: no shovel appeared outside of the mansion as an object to take. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, but a lot of people tried to get that shovel. :wink:

My mistake, it’s not a bug, it’s a feature - once you open the arcade, it becomes accessible in new playthroughs, including Casual ones - Tokens (and Pie), is it supposed to do this? :: Thimbleweed Park General Discussions
I really don’t like this save.dat system which alters new playthroughs :frowning:

I edited out the comment about it from my post.