Pillow bears exist

I don’t know. I thought the whole plushy-that-turns-into-a-pillow thing wasn’t all that novel. Been seeing them in stores for years.

I’ve just remembered that as a kid I had a clown doll that you could open at the stomach and keep pyjamas in. Weird time, the 90s.

But did you see them 30 years ago? In game time it could still count as novel! :slight_smile:

Oh wow, that’s messed up.

No clue. Thirty years ago I was ten. I was more interested in electronic/video games and RC cars back then.

Anyway, that’s not the point. The title of the thread is not “Pillow Bears existed 30 years ago”. The original poster seemed surprised that the concept of a plush toy that turns into a pillow actually exists today. I merely pointed out that they’ve been around for quite a while.

Oh OK, it just sounded more like a “critic” on the game when you said it like this:

I just wanted to point out that they could have used any invention from the last 30 years and it still being novel :slight_smile:

Yeah… it’s only now sinking in how odd that was…

True.

And now that you mention it. Did we even have cell phones back in '87? I remember my first mobile phone being somewhere around '99 or thereabouts. I wasn’t an early adopter or anything, but I don’t remember those things being around for that long either. Those car phones, sure, but to carry on your person? I thought it was still all pagers back then.

Of course! But they were very expensive and huge. :slight_smile:

I remember them being expensive and huge’ish back in the 90’s, but I don’t think I saw one before at least '95 or so. Guess we probably lagged the US in that regard, so it’s entirely possible they already had them. But over here, it was pagers all the way for those who needed to stay connected while on the road.

I can only speak for Germany: We had mobile phones back in the 80s. They were very expensive and the were shipped in a suitcase. So primary businessmen could afford and bought these phones. I recommend to read the corresponding Wikipedia article:

Yes, in the late 80s cellular phones existed and where large and bulky. Some of them were like a small briefcase that you carried around with you, and some of them were just like the one that Agent Ray carries.

dZ.

Yeah, must be due to the fact that we started referring to them by their network protocol somewhere around the middle 90’s. We call 'em GSM’s over here, which was a new word back then, and probably explains why we considered them “something new”.

It’s a Belgium thing; in the Netherlands they’re called “mobieltje” (diminutive of “mobile”).

Ah, I see. Here in the USA, the term “mobile phone” did not come until sometime in the new Millennium. They were “cellular phones” first, then just “cell phones” or “cells” in the 90s.

dZ.

He he, yes, it seems that each country has it own terms/names … :slight_smile: Regardless how they were named, they were available in the 80s - at least in Germany. :wink:

Were they also very expensive in Germany? In the USA, the joke is that only drug dealers and rich, snobby “Yuppies” (Young Urban Professionals, the 1980s version of rich hipsters) had them.

dZ.

Yep. You had to pay a lot of money for the phone, a fee to the telephone company and for each minute of a call. Only rich people could afford these phones. In most cases they were in the music business, hosts of a famous TV show or owner of a big company. :slight_smile:

He he. Yes! We called them Yuppies too. Wonder what they are doing now. :slight_smile: And of course we call hipsters - ehrm - hipsters. :slight_smile:

I was surprised too, but they’ve done their research!
There was also a discussion on the blog 2.5 years ago (oh wow).
Flowo1974 posted a link to a similar looking phone which is from 1987: Nokia Cityman 1320

Btw. in German mobile phones are often called “Handy”.

1 Like

Yes, because they are “handy”. :wink: But most Germans are using now “Smartphone”.

I still call an iPhone a GSM
I refuse to use the hyped term “smartphone”

Where I live we still often say “Handy” unless there is a (technical) reason to address smartphones specifically.
“Handy” is just a nicely short and handy term!