Tell me your dreams

Because that’s negative!

The other day, we had a similar race at work on who got to do the 1000th commit on a version control repository. In the end it was taken by a lurker, who just filled up 990 to 999 in a few minuts with minor things and then added a file called something like “I_have_1000.txt” and as commit message “I WIN!”
:smile:

Why do you want a :sweep:? Perhaps a bunch of these will do? :paintbrush: :paintbrush: :paintbrush:

(DIscourse tells me I already replied 3 times to @PiecesOfKate in this particular topic and I should consider replying to other people in the discussion too.)

happy now, Discourse? Oh, hi Milan! Does PITA Discourse tell you you have replied already #error-number-too-large-to-display times to @PiecesOfKate?

2 Likes

The one-thousandth what on a whatty what? :crazy_face:

:wave:

4 Likes

the 1000th COMMIT on a VER-SION CON-TROL RE-POS-I-TO-RY
:joy:

like, a check-in on svn? Git? ermm…

Yeah, I really wanted to… but I was afraid Discourse was gonna burn my ass if I did “… and please consider replying to other people, other than @tasse-tee

1 Like

Haha :laughing: Though don’t you dare try that here, mystery 1000th poster!

Yes okay rockets (oh, they’re paintbrushes) will do in place of brooms. That’s how I do the housework. I wanted them to clear up Frenzies ‘dreams’.

You’re just WELL JEL, Discourse. Go and hang with your imaginary friends, baw.

1 Like

Computer Programmer’s stuff.

Imagine Ron,Gary and David that are making a videogame.
Each one adds something (a background, an animation, a character, a verb…) into a global “thing”.
When Gary has finished his graphic work, he COMMITS.
Immediately after, Ron and David can see what he did.
Then David finishes his part, and COMMITS, so his work can be seen by the other two guys.
Each COMMIT is numbered progressively.
You can upload in that global “thing” anything you want, or modify something already existing.
Each adding/editing is numbered.

3 Likes

erm… yeah something like that…
and the “thing” is a vault or repository.

Though there’s also checkout and update and populating or pulling and pushing involved, depending on the flavor of revision control tool you’re using.
You can probably fill up a complete verb UI with the usual commands:

PUSH   LOCK       ADD     REVERT
  PULL   UNLOCK     REMOVE  BLAME
  LOG    COMMIT     INFO    TAG

(Disclaimer: I know, these are taken from different/incompatible version control systems. No need to start a geek shit storm and overrun @PiecesOfKate 1000th post in the process)

3 Likes

Here’s a list of the lil’ guys.

ok, my turn:

the what of the whatty what?? :rofl:

1 Like

Discourse is basically suggesting me to wear an ankle monitor at this point.

3 Likes

Sounds like you have yourself an idea for a new game! :thinking:

TWP 2: Delores Programs a Murder Simulator.

After a long day of programming, why not unwind with a simulation version of your day job??! (But at least she probably uses her C64).

3 Likes

That’s merely Discourse’s fault. It emphasizes the link to the most recent commit so the link to the list of commits is slightly hidden. :stuck_out_tongue:

But if your built-in text parser is too primitive, it’s a log of commits rather than a list of lil’ guys. :angel:

But fine, it looks better like this anyway.

I also kind of like this Git Cola thing:

2 Likes

A single branch? Come on, this is Git!

1 Like

This topic is “Tell me your dreams”, not “Tell me your nightmares
:scream: :scream: :scream:

7 Likes

What the beeeeeeeep is all that?! :ransome:

3 Likes

Programmers stuff. :wink: With the program Git software developers are able to keep track of their work. Git remembers the changes and improvements the developers made. The lines and dots visualize these changes over time. Git is known to be very complex and hard to handle. Especially if several developers are working together you can see this complexity in the visualization (like in my picture above).

1 Like

Programmers, eh? Some of the lines on the right don’t lead anywhere! Just like their careers!! :ransome:

ahahahaha :rofl: plz don’t kill me

4 Likes

Yeah! Using up all the posts! Only a few to go until 1000! :scream:

2 Likes

On the screen by happy coincidence and a bit of rebasing magic, yes. In practice it’s not quite like that though, but it’s mostly because it’s sanitized by the GH PR mechanism I suppose. :wink:

:drum:

2 Likes