The 2018 what are we playing thread

Why? :slight_smile:

Becauseā€¦ these go up to eleven!

3 Likes

I just think the puzzles are the most interesting. Plus itā€™s the first one (and the first adventure game) I played, so part of that is the nostalgia effect. I also donā€™t like the point-and-click format of 4 onwards. Thereā€™s also no big annoying arcade sequence in 2.

1 Like

Blasphemy!

:wink:

Nah, I tend to agree: SQ4 was the first SQ I tried 25 years ago and apart from being brutally hard (couldnā€™t get further than the first screens before getting killed/arrested/ā€¦), I also recall the UI being very unforgiving.

1 Like

I really should get myself all those Sierra seriesĀ“ when they come around El Super Cheapo next time.

2 Likes

Oi, Mr Mis-quote, I didnā€™t say all point-and-clicks :stuck_out_tongue: Those blimminā€™ icons were so fiddly and not very intuitive (hey, maybe someone should start a discussion about that type of interface :smirk:)

Agreed! Even more so than standard Sierra!

3 Likes

I started it a few years back. It began with some super awkward boxing and I was like NOPE.

Not to worry, Iā€™ll probably check it out sooner rather than later. I think I may have even read the diary a couple of months ago.

But, you know, once I finish Last Crusade and Grim Fandango thereā€™ll be nothing left. :stuck_out_tongue:

In other news, I still have to finish Broken Age. I never really got started on part 2ā€¦

You can solve it without boxing - well, in theory. :wink:

I probably bought it in a bundle thing on GOG whenever I previously said I bought Zak McKracken (2015?). So I donā€™t really recall the precise details. I dunno, did it also still come with the MM/Zak verbiage overload? Something about it just didnā€™t vibe with my mood at the time.

tl;dr I (re)played Fate of Atlantis instead.

Or are you just referring to the knockout punch thing? I forget which game that was in.

This. In Indy 3 you have to punch/kick some nazis - like in in FoA. But you can avoid that boxing if you just avoid the contact to the nazis (AFAIR).

1 Like

I donā€™t think there is an instant win button, like in FoA, but Iā€™m pretty sure you can play the game without ever entering into a fight. Itā€™s not as easy however. Some require the right dialogue choice, some the right disguise, some the solving of puzzles.

Of the LFG adventures, I think Indy3 is the most unforgiving, but on the upper side, it has lots of ways to complete certain stages. Unlike FoA, which had the branching in the middle, but each path then required a specific solution.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I mean. :slight_smile: But I never managed to avoid all fights. (AFAIR you have to avoid the fights if you would like to get the maximum IQ.)

Is it even possible to get maximum IQ in one playthrough? I always assumed that youā€™d have to play multiple times and exhaust all available solutions to individual puzzles (which would obviously include avoiding all the fights).

Me neither. But then there are more things I never managed to do. Come to think of it, itā€™s odd that very few adventure games offer multiple solutions to their puzzles. Guess it might just not be worth the effort. (Though I think it was a planned feature for The Devilā€™s Men; one more reason I had been looking forward to that game).

1 Like

AFAIK thatā€™s right. :slight_smile:

I still have to start that one (close to 200 others) If I play and finish one game every month (which I donā€™t/canā€™t) Iā€™ll be busy for at least another 15 years :open_mouth:

completely optional awkward boxing. And It isnā€™t that badā€¦ punch hi/mid/low, defend hi/mid/low, watch your feet and the stamina meters. 50 % of the enemies should be simple to beat if you practice for a minute or 10 - which beats your real life learning curve :laughing:

2 Likes

Apparently collecting a ton of tiberium gives you a high efficiency rating:

Screenshot_2018-09-09_11-42-51

2 Likes

Started and finished:

Among The Sleep.

Neat first person psycho horror game in which you play a baby that seems to have bad dreams or something and in which you uncover something terrible that happened between your parents (I think). All that with the help of your trusty walking talking teddy bear.

Yeah, really hard to describe combo of walking simulator and puzzle game. Frustrating in parts, but the atmosphere was spot on and the general idea something original.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I think there is only one required ā€œfightā€: Biff.

You can get the maximum total IQ points by making savegames before the puzzles and solve them in all the possible ways rewarding you with IQ points (proceeding the game with the one solution giving you the highest number).
As you said: In Indy3 there is no large branching as in Indy4.

The toughest IQ points I remember are:

• shooting down all those airplanes
  • fighting the guard on the Zeppelin