The Castle (game inspired by Maniac Mansion)

Right, that was very funny too!

“Look at deadly apparatus”: “Nice deadly apparatus”

That’s how every game should be! A chair is a chair. Today it’s as if authors feel compelled to describe every ordinary thing…

2 Likes

Use magnetic board with giant toad?

Dear @Carles , I have one simple question for you, which can only be expressed as follows:

(This roughly means: “What were you drinking, when you designed that? Why do you hate us so much?” )

This puzzle made me angry… SEGUSO NOW ANGRY.
:grin:

1 Like

I have to still find a board… and then make it magnetic, I suppose…
No wait… !!! Really!? I have it!!!

No, it’s already magnetic… the puzzle is what to use it on :slight_smile:

[Italian mode ON]
Ma che ca%%o c’entra una lavagna magnetica della Mattel (è quella che ho trovato sul letto?), per farci i disegnini, con un rospo gigante? PERCHE’??? C’è un senso, o, come canta Vasco, un senso non ce l’ha?
[Italian mode OFF]

Oh, I can’t figure out why a magnetic board has to be used on a giant toad…

1 Like

maybe the clue was the writing on the wall?
NOT ENOUGH
SEGUSO STILL ANGRY

hmmm…

just the HELP word? A stylized man? Some lines? Still don’t understand…

I think the “help” sign and the drawing of a man on the wall were meant to give us the idea that the toad was actually a man. But this is not enough of a clue… if you see this, the obvious explanation is that the marks were made by a man that was caged before the toad. Or possibly a man that had been eaten by the toad…
it would take some more clue, in form of a dialog maybe… a dialog that mentions that the vampires could transform people into animals…

1 Like

Interesting theory. I agree, like in the famous tale, the toad could be actually a man, a prince. But it should be transformed with a kiss, not with a magnetic object.
Wait…
KISS… or better: KIϟϟ … metal… :thinking:

1 Like

right. a kiss would have been better. but I don’t know what the solution is… I mean, the magnetic board does not transform him, and I currently don’t know how to do it.

1 Like

hi guys,

I am the author of the game. Nor_Treblig invited me to stop by here :slight_smile:

I am glad you enjoy the adventure.

I have seen that people get stuck a little, it is a bit difficult game. As I have said elsewhere, you can reach dead ends if someone dies or if everyone ends up locked up. Also, as you have seen, they can chase you through the castle.

It is a graphic adventure different from the others. It is best to save frequently. Things are discovered based on trial and error.

That’s why I did a very complete walkthrough, although it is best to get it yourself!

Let me of some basic clues:

To distract the guard and be able to enter his room to access the control room, one must take the towel, wet it, and put it on top of the roof’s satellite dish (LNB).

There are methods to temporarily scare the female vampire:

• The wooden crosses that are carried in the hand (one of them is carried by the nun and the other is obtained in a room) -> use the cross when the vampire arrives
  • The crosses that are painted under the bloodstain in a picture of the corridor (we have to remove the stain with the turpentine) -> make the vampire get there
  • The cross behind the small bedroom painting -> make the vampire get there

good luck!

4 Likes

Welcome, finally!
Actually it was me, but @Nor_Treblig is our best user here, so it’s the same :smiley:
Thank you very much for your suggestions!

To @seguso: I just found how to use and the purpose of the magnetic board! First, you must GIVE it to the giant toad. He will reveal he’s a man. Then, you must USE the magnetic board. Simply USE it, with no other objects. A dialog menu will appear, and you can write a question on the magnetic board, GIVE it to the toad, he will write an answer in return.
There are a few helpful questions. One of them, will let you receive in return a Vatican ring (the very same Sister Angela has).

2 Likes

Progresses… (warning: spoiler. Don’t look it if you have not been chased yet!)
:rofl:

immagine

2 Likes

It’s great how you also need to know Spanish to grasp the meaning intended for some phrases while playing in English. I hadn’t time to get The Castle yet (I’d love to do it next month), but I’d love to play it in English and re-read this post afterwards to notice how many of these strange translations I couldn’t notice.

@Carles : why if I type the “X” key, the “New Kid” verb doesn’t seem to work?
Instead, the “Talk to” verb is selected.

I am not looking at your dirty spoiler!

1 Like

@ZakPhoenixMcKracken because I used the “Talk to” space for the “New kid” and didn’t change the hotkeys … I never used them :grimacing:

I have seen that some issues have been repeatedly discussed, let me clarify some things:

Roger:

I think he is a character that has not been understood. I imagined it in one way, and the players have understood it in another way. In his description we can imagine that he is a nerd, a guy who has never stopped studying. But in practice, when confronted with the real world, it is useless that does not know how to do anything. He is the worst adventurer, even so we can reach some endings with him.

Toad:

The toad is caged in a laboratory. The clue what could be a man is in the graffiti on the walls. By giving him the magnetic board we can establish a conversation with him. From the conversation we will get information and an object. As you have said, we must “use” the magnetic board to choose what we want to ask, and give it to him. Then “look at” to see the answer that he has written.

2 Likes

So, @seguso… now that the Mighty Author wrote the same things I wrote about the Toad… is my spoiler less dirty? :wink:

P.S.: I can now escape 2 prisons out of 3. I still have to understand how to get the magnetic card inside the popcorn machine.
I thought that a mallet could break the glass. Well, why not? :rofl:

There is one thing I have to do quick, and I’m trying to do it as fast as I can:

to record the Terminator movie on CD, then exit the room, before the green alien comes in.

Well, I’m always on alert, because from time to time, a vampire girl dressed in green can appear and catch you! That’s a nice touch to this game! A constant tension!

… to be continued…

1 Like

I did not read his dirty spoiler either!

1 Like

Escaping from one of the prisons may be more complicated, but you have the option of passing the objects through the bar window.

This is important! But the puzzle is easy, I promise :wink:

In the guard’s room, there is plenty of time to do everything that should be done if you entertain the guard with the wet towel on the antenna.

Yes! It is true that the game has constant tension since the vampire girl appears. Some information on how it is programmed:

It appears when one of the 2 situations occurs: the guard has caught two adventurers (although then escape) or 20 minutes of play have passed (I think it was 20 but I’m not sure). If we enter a room where she is, she will always appear on the opposite side where we have entered, to allow time to flee.

The game can be very long when nothing is known and we want to get the 5 endings. But if we know what to do, we can reach any ending in 20-30 min of play.

1 Like