The official language thread

Jumping in feet first, maybe.

1 Like

No, just saw you typing and assumed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So you have a drone over my house too! :eyes:

RETRACT THE DEVICE! RETRACT THE DEVICE!

WTAF. Discourse is now trying to correct my grammar. Do you know who I am?

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

Or your browser?

This reminds me of the (in)famous Trapattoni quote.

There’s an obscure Italian saying - “non dire quattro se non l’hai nel sacco”, literally “don’t say four if you don’t have it in the bag”, which obviously means “don’t publicize results you didn’t fully achieve yet”.

However I guarantee that 95% of the Italians only know the “cat” variant, “don’t say cat if you don’t have it in the bag” (non dire gatto se non l’hai nel sacco) which is actually a misquote by Italian football coach and professional gaffeur Giovanni Trapattoni. The quote has been made famous by an Italian TV show focused on funny stuff from the world of sports, and it stick so strong because the original saying wasn’t well known to begin with. So the misquote was even funnier for everyone.

2 Likes

No, Discourse. It doesn’t like my use of an incomplete sentence. I guess it’s to try and weed out spam.

What gives?

Seems to work for me…

That’s like our ‘she let the cat out of the bag’, which means ‘she revealed the secret’. I wonder if the two got mixed, resulting in the misquote?

Literally the same in german, btw.

1 Like

Really? That’s odd. It comes up with a message when I try and post it.

How did you test it without posting it?

Edit: oh, you mean with your example? That’s kind of a question though so it probably doesn’t mind that.

I highly doubt Trapattoni knew about an English saying.

I mean, he’s the guy who created “ich habe fertig”. Ask the Germans.

4 Likes

“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.”

Oh, he left some very famous common sayings in Germany. :slight_smile: For example the wrong “Ich habe fertig.” (It has to be “Ich bin fertig.” = “I have finished”) or "Schwach wie eine Flasche leer!“ (“Weak like an empty bottle” - I have no idea what he meant with that :)).

2 Likes

Is “what gives?” a complete sentence?

Are you sure about that?

Anyway a funny clip

3 Likes

That odd

Discourse hates me :sob: is this the equivalent of a horse’s head in my bed?