The official language thread

Ah, yes. I had that too. AFAIK it works only with one simple inclomplete sentence? (Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to post in this forum… :wink: )

Yes, encyclopedias quote examples of the “four” quote from way before Trapattoni was born. The “cat” variant started after Mai Dire Gol :smiley:

And that German interview it’s just… you need to know German to fully appreciate it. Or… you need to know both German AND Italian. Some things he says make sense only if you know what his Italian mind was thinking :smiley:

3 Likes

Dunno

You play like bottle empty! I have finish!

1 Like

Well two in my case, but it was the same sentence repeated, haha.

Discrimination I tell ya!

1 Like

Hmrpf

It’s interesting to see that we (in Germany and the UK) are sharing a lot of common sayings. :slight_smile:

For example these are the same in German:

2 Likes

The funny thing is that Trapattoni speaks german in the same “personal” way he speaks italian.
When somebody says something strange, mangles or munches words, we say “come on Dude, use your own words. No need to talk like Trapattoni”.

4 Likes

New question especially for those who live in the UK:

In English you say “Hello” to somebody. Hello with an “e”. I learned at school “Hallo” with an “a” - pronounced as “Hello”. My books are from the “Oxfort University Press”.

Is “Hallo” still common in some parts of the UK? Is it slang? Was “Hallo” used actually? Or was it a typo and the publisher of the books just don’t wanted to admit that?

We learned that “hallo” is american while “hello” is british. Moreover “'ello” is cockney.

1 Like

It’s not something I’ve ever seen.
Hello, Hey, Hi, ‘Ello, Yo, ‘Sup maybe, but not “hallo”
:angel:

2 Likes

Don’t forget hullo.

I’m not kidding: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hullo

Since you preceeded me of just a few minutes with “hullo”, check out this:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So is “hollo” the only combination that isn’t a greeting?

Time to change the English language.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of it as a variation. It’s kind of difficult to tell if people use it as it’s quite a ‘fast’ word. I’d say most people I know use ‘hello’ (or ‘ello’). Or ‘hiya’.

Or ‘all right?’ Actually when I was a teenager that was a kind of substitute for ‘hello’ rather than asking if someone’s all right:

“All right Katie.”
“All right Jen.”

Though usually that was when passing quickly in the street or something.

Maybe just a London thing though @tasse-tee?

2 Likes

No, quite a few people use it where I work, and they’re living in the North.
I instinctively respond with “yeah, you?” instead of a “hi”, because to me it sounds like a question.

I would say that “hallo” isn’t really used.

2 Likes

Well, isn’t it true also for how do you do?

I don’t know if it’s a Zurich thing, but every time I asked “how are you” (wie geht’s?), people answered “thanks”. Not even a “good, thanks”. Just “thanks”.

I don’t hear that very often. It sounds a bit old-fashioned to me.

That’s weird. “Thanks” isn’t answering the question properly :stuck_out_tongue:

Same.

We tend to give a proper answer. Even if it’s just a ‘good, thanks’. It’s usually just ‘small talk’ though, which I’m not a big fan of. It’s one of those formalities that doesn’t really mean much. If I want someone to know I’ve had a particularly eventful, exciting or rubbish morning I’ll just tell 'em :wink:

2 Likes