I seem to think we used to have words like that a long time ago, and they died out. I remember seeing an article about similar words and thinking, I wish we still used those! It was probably Merriam-Webster on Twitter or something
Gisternacht?
Iâd use âvannachtâ or âgisteren nachtâ.
Then again, Iâd also use âpisteâ instead of âplasteâ
And the past tense also sounds weird. Weâd say:
âIk heb vannacht in mijn bed gepist.â
Anyway all for the sake of the example given, my bladder control is fine!
We do use âover-overmorgenâ too in spoken language, or eer-eergisteren. But it is rather when you start saying the word and realise youâre off by a day, so you just add one more.
If itâs like Dutch then like @Sushi you can but in writing or more careful speech youâd probably say something like in three days/three days ago instead.
Really? I did not know that⌠but it makes sense.
Also, theyâd rather say âI wet my bed last nightâ , as if the source of said wetness could equally have been leaving the window open during a rain or something.
Talking about euphemisms and peeing, we also say âwashing my handsâ while we mean âgoing to the toilet (to pee)â.
If you have a rich imagination⌠thatâs not how youâre supposed to wash your hands!
Incidentally, I hadnât heard that one before I moved to Belgium.
At our elementary school there were these signs in and/or around the toilets (bathroom/restroomâŚ) that said âhanden wassen na het plassen.â Of course that was turned around at first sight.