The Secret of Monkey Island: a community playthrough

I go back and forth with this, meaning I’m undecided whether I like it or not. On the one hand, it’s nice to explore all the dialogue options (without having to replay it again). On the other hand, not being able to explore all the dialogue options makes the decision process more interesting (and adds more replay value to the game)…

Now that you mention it, yes, it’s pixelated.

… but I didn’t notice while playing. That’s probably because the new art style is too different from the one used in the old close-ups and simply pixelating that picture a bit didn’t make it much different from the original SE art.

Probably that’s why I chose the old Spiffy for my version

Except if they were added for the blind lookout?

I liked the ones that go Deep below Monkey Island… or Meanwhile…, though.

I hope not! Dutch EGA version here…

Ah yes! I forgot about that. Guess I don’t feel the urge to look at everything again when not stuck.

Question to all of you: in what order will you complete the three quests? You know, it impacts how the relation between Guybrush and Elaine evolves. If you keep stealing until the end… well then she gets kidnapped before Guybrush had time to fall in love. Still he gives a different response, breaking the fourth wall a bit.

There is a shortcut to toggle it, but I have never been able to get that to work though :confused:

1 Like

Gosh, there’s a typo in the selected line of the image you posted, and it went through three different and subsequent editions!

Fabio Bortolotti did such an amazing job with TwP and definitely raised the standard.

1 Like

Yeah, a schoolmate of mine missed all that part back then… I’ve never tried it, so I don’t know what are you talking about when nodding to fourth wall breaking. I might try that, this time

I’ve not decided it yet, but for sure I will not steal the idol as the last quest because I want to see the famous Elaine + Guybrush scene again.

In my EGA version back then it looked like “Qual’ il Segreto” since it didn’t display special fonts due to a bug. So it didn’t bother me, all sentences were more or less limping

1 Like

The Ultimate Talkie Edition Spiffy doesn’t have the SE background, though. Instead, it has an orange pattern like the other VGA close ups to better fit the VGA style. This is a significant difference, if you asked me.

1 Like

If I’m the odd man out here I’ll shut up but—do we really need to spoiler blur all of our text? Has anyone doing this not played the game before? And since we’re all working at our own pace, this sure would be a bad thread to read on your first time playing through.

To me it seems we shouldn’t bother spoiler blocking text. There have been 28 posts since I looked at this thread yesterday and in trying to read it I had to unblur text like 50 times.

1 Like

I’m not a blur supporter necessarily but I will say that I just got stuck for a minute, but I am very tired. Also here’s more blurred text.

It reminded me when I first played MI1 from pirated floppy disks from my cousin (sorry, Ron), I didn’t know what a line of credit was at the age of 7, so I spent a very long time trying to bargain with Stan over the boat. Even after I had the line of credit I thought I still needed the pieces of eight he was asking for. 30 years later I still flubbed it.

I remember trying so many things instead of just offering 5k. Even at 7 I knew about the tactic of walking away from the salesman because I had been with family buying cars from dealerships, but it didn’t work and I even resorted to trying to get thousands of gold from the PTA pirate.

Also, I was too young to really ‘get’ the swordfighting jokes but I figured out what the idea was and just wrote them all down. Then again, I also later rigorously tracked, for months, prices of fake goods to sell around the world in the game Zeppelin, which I guess was what children used to do for fun.

2 Likes

Thank you @LowLevel for setting this up! As a first post of my play-through I thought of just sharing a snapshot of my little gaming corner:

I decided to play Monkey 1 on an old CRT with no mods, just the way I played it decades ago.

The first part should be a breeze, I think I remember all the puzzles but we will see. Also I’m going to leave the governor trial for last, just because I haven’t done that before.

Will post again over the weekend after tonight’s play. I’m enjoying everyone’s posts, thank you and keep them coming!

ps: for the Italians here, can you guess my beverage of choice for tonight? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The original Italian translation is AWFUL. Full of spelling and grammar errors and just outright wrong translations.

1 Like

I finished the game yesterday. I’m mad that my daughters didn’t choose the “don’t spend more than 20 bucks” line.

1 Like

Aperol?

Which one did they choose?

Fernet y coca, I guess.
Be careful though, that stuff melts mugs.

How to deal with frustration, disappointment and irritating cynism.

2 Likes

I agree, from a technical point of view. Still, I get the vibes of the same modern image that I remember from the SE.

Maybe it depends on the fact that the Ultimate Talkie Spiffy image still uses more colors and more gradients than, say, the Estevan old VGA closeup.

Did your daughters like the (whole) game? :slight_smile:

I’m not sure whether there’s a strict need for it, considering that some of us know the game by heart.

Personally, I know that I’ll get stuck sometimes, especially in the later chapters. But I’ll try to reduce them for the topics that I assume are well known to everybody. :slight_smile:

That’s very cool! :smiley:

• Kerosene
  • Propylene Glycerol
  • Artificial Sweeteners
  • Sulphuric Acid
  • Rum
  • Acetone
  • Red Dye No. 2
  • Scumm
  • Axle Grease
  • Battery Acid
  • and/or Pepperoni.