The Will of Arthur Flabbington - Kickstarter campaign

I was happy to be spammed - I just backed it!

5 Likes

Just for the records: I did that already. :wink: And I was one of the first people who backed the game. :smiley:

@Guga Don’t worry. The campaign is still running over two weeks!

5 Likes

I forgot to reply to this one, it’s @Ema’s fault, he derailed the discussion :laughing:

If so, this is an interesting point. I was discussing with someone else that we never saw a “game is ready but help us for extra content” campaign and other two people thought it was a clever idea - and I did too.

But now I’m starting to think that people probably find the campaign unnecessary. If the game is coming out anyway, they don’t feel compelled to help.

The upside of that? If the campaign fails and all these people end up buying the game anyway, their reviews on Steam will be counted in the review counter :grimacing: whereas if you activate a game via a key, as it would be the case with Kickstarter rewards, the review is ignored.

2 Likes

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2” was such a campaign. They started it to “enhance” the game a little bit and to produce a boxed version.

“Trüberbrook” was similar AFAIR. :thinking:

Yes. And no. :wink: A lot of people are tired about Kickstarter projects that came too late or never. So they don’t pledge anymore and wait until the game is available on Steam (or other platforms). Unfortunately these people are in the majority and interested in the game only. The don’t need a fancy boxed version or other goodies.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 had a big(ger) marketing budget and got (just) 3.446 backers that (only) payed 171.593 US Dollar. It’s very difficult to acquire money via Kickstarter these days.

But a Kickstarter campaign makes your game more visible. I’m confident that you have won a lot of new players just with starting the campaign. :slight_smile:

And if your campaign fails (we all hope that doesn’t happens), you could sell your game on Steam and reinvest the money in the voice recording. (That’s great with Steam: You could update your game after publishing it. :wink: ). And you could think about using other platforms such as Patreon. :slight_smile:

So don’t give up. :wink:

4 Likes

I only just became aware of your Kickstarter, @Guga . It looks fantastic and I have backed. Thank you @Ema for drawing my attention! I am trying to think how to help get the word out in the 18 days that remain. Most of my facebook/twitter friends are not into gaming at all … but my college-aged daughter is. I will see if maybe she can help spread the word. I am proud to say she has become a big fan of point and click adventures, maybe due to my influence in her younger years.

8 Likes

Maybe they will get into gaming with Guga’s game…? :wink:

3 Likes

Congrats on reaching 50%! It’s slowly but steadily rising so I’m sure it will reach the goal. And let’s also hope for a push at the 48h mark before the end!

3 Likes

Thanks… you know, I’m still a bit on the edge because it’s roughly on average - 50% funding in 45% of the time :sweat_smile: but all campaigns show that the middle two weeks are the period of least activity. If my campaign can survive this, maybe we’ll get a boost in the last few days.

4 Likes

I am confident you’ll have a sudden boost near the end!

3 Likes

I am also confident about this!

Btw. I have checked the community tab some time ago to see how many new Kickstarter users are backing.
I think it only was 1 new backer with a backer count of 30-something.
Now the new backer count is approaching 9% (13 vs. 149), that’s nice!

Hm, I even might create a second account and back again just to boost this number :slight_smile: (my normal KS account isn’t called ‘Nor Treblig’ in case you are wondering why you don’t find me).

4 Likes

That’s an interesting tab and I don’t know why I never checked it.

I’m interested in the three people from Zurich. I know for sure one is a colleague of mine. But I haven’t seen any other names I recognize. Also Cagliari is missing because my friends are tanalle miserabili (stingy bastards) and I know only two of them backed (but one chose the memorial photo level :smiley: )

Interesting also the usual geographic breakdown, with US, UK, Germany and Italy clearly winning on this one. Ok, I targeted Italy specifically in my spamming but still these seem to always be the countries that are more interested in the genre.

Also thanks for your double backing.

1 Like

I might know backer #29 :wink:.

2 Likes

The German cities are also interesting. For example Dortmund and Frankfurt are cities that I hadn’t expected to be in the lists. Are the corresponding backers here? :smiley:

Kickstarter doesn’t know where I live, on top of which GeoIP thinks I live over in Limburg or something, so I’d take that with a few grains of salt.

3 Likes

We just passed 200 backers and we’re almost at 2/3 of the goal.
Keep spreading the word!

8 Likes

Great news and great idea with the rewards. I’ll likely be increasing my level later today. Very promising!

1 Like

Wait, you’re from Zurich? :thinking: if so, we could have met during the peak forum activity, as I was still living there. I thought I was the only one there.

Now Zurich has 4 backers :smile: an old friend of mine joined, now I need to convince the other old friend of mine to make Zurich climb the ladder

1 Like

As @Someone said, the location info Kickstarter displays is quite inaccurate. I live far enough away to only have visited Zurich twice in the past 10 years (unless you count passing through or visiting the airport). But GeoIP thinks otherwise, and I guess I can be grateful that they do …

But yeah, I wouldn’t have minded visiting a 3rd time :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Last 7 days :scream: and only 864 CHF (or EUR or USD, it’s all the same) to go!

I’m tempted to put 1000 myself to start spamming it as fully funded and then remove the autopledge once I reach 7000 :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl:
Are you sure showing it as funded atracts more backers?
I updated my pledge twice, because I really wanted this campaign to suceed. If I see it got funded 1 week before the deadline, I may become a scrooge and step down a little from my pledge.

1 Like