The X-Files 2018

I think I just get used to it. I also like hearing the original language - it feels more authentic somehow.

I guess I’m in the minority though!

I like to watch english/american movies without subtitles (or with english subtitles if they speak slang or extremely fast - for example I had actually problems to follow Black Adder…)

Nope. You are not alone. I know a lot of people who prefer subtitles too. One can say that there are two fractions: The subtitle haters and lovers. It’s like a religion. And only one of them is the right one! Like being a fan of Star Wars or a fan of this other unimportant space thing with a captain called Kurk or Karg or something like that.

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

No, I don´t need subtitles for english at all. I understand almost everything now.

As for other languages I always prefer the original sound and then use subtitles.

But for cheesy martial art films corny english dubbing is a lot funnier.

Let me put it like this. An actors performance consists of three qualities:

1 Facial expression
2 Body Language
3 Speech

In dubbing a third of an actors performance gets lost.

Hah, I´m gonna start tonight with like 3 episodes! :slight_smile:

Personally I´m a fan of Porcard or Purcord or whatever…

1 Like

In germany Scully is voiced by a woman named Franziska Pigulla(who ha such a gravelly voice that Scully is one of the few white women she voices). Mulder used to be voiced for the longest time by Benjamin Völz (he´s also the german voice for Keanue Reeves and Charlie Sheen for instance).

Ever since the second X-Files movie there has been trouble over payment between the studio and Völz and he has been replaced ever since which is very jarring because he has voiced Duchovny in absolutly everything else in Californication, Evolution and even Zalman King´s Red Shoe Diaries…

Yes, I used to watch that, fuck you it was the 90s!

Anyway in this tv trailer you can hear what Mulder and Scully used to sound like in german, she still has the same voice as has the smoking man (who has a way darker gravelly voice in german, actually sounding like real heavy smoker) but they also replaced Skinner´s german voice for no appearant reason (who also did Richard Dreyfuss a lot in the past).

Oh, I love dubbing. Maybe in Italy we are a little spoiled (eheheh) because our dubbers are good actors and sometimes real stage or movie actors. I was a huge fan of the X files as a kid and Mulder and Scully characters are intensely linked with the voice of their dubbers.
Also, even if I can understand native english speakers when they write, I need a strong attention to achieve deep comprehension when I hear a voice, and it’s not good for the immersion.
I can read subtitles whitout getting left behind, but a good dubbing is priceless. I doubt I will ever have a familiarity with English to the point I can enjoy the pleasure of watching a film without subtitles.
I recently watched a movie I liked a lot, The Post (dubbed very well). When I heard Tom Hanks talking with his own voice for the first time in an interview for a tv show in Italy, I was like: “Oh, is that his real voice, so acute?”

1 Like

The german voice actor for Tom Hanks died last year. Unlucky us…

If there’s a good dubbing school in Germany, as it seems to be, there will be another good one, even if some voices are unforgettable…

His replacement is good but he was special in many ways. He also did the translations for star wars Indiana Jones and others.

Yes, they are mostly (well-known) actors or skilled/professional dubber/voice actors. The dubbing in Germany is really good.

Yeah I believe Munich Berlin and Hamburg have the best studios.

1 Like

I wish I would be like you…

We lost one of or best dubbers a few years ago. Tonino Accolla → Homer Simpson :pensive:

I think that’s why I struggle with it - there’s too much disconnect. I know everyone’s saying with good dubbers it doesn’t matter, but I really find it hard to watch lips moving against the words! It takes me out of it. But I guess I’m also just not used to it.

See I never thought about that before. I guess in that sense the dubbing plays an important part in the familiarity of the characters if they’re the same dubbers throughout. And if you’ve never known any different it would be weird for it to change.

That’s really interesting! I thought I’d hate it but they don’t actually sound that bad.

It surely must have an effect on the way the characters are taken in and perceived through the course of the show, though. There must inevitably be differences in expression and nuance between the original voices and the dubbing, which could mean different countries see the characters slightly differently - e.g. maybe Mulder seems less deadpan in German and therefore more enthusiastic than he actually is.

I um… definitely never watched that… Cough…

1 Like

That´s so weird to hear from anyone.

Our “Homer”, died too!

That is definitly true, Völz never mumbled his lines the way Duchovny often does. He sounds much more enthusiastic about everything.

I don’t agree with you both. :slight_smile: @milanfahrnholz Can you give an example where this is valid?

It’s the opposite: I’ve seen far more bad actors performances that were enhanced by the dubbers. The best known examples are “The Persuaders!” and “Derrick”: The Persuaders! was a flop in the USA but got cult in Germany just to the (I would say hilarious) dubbing. Watching “Derrick” in German is a very good sleeping pill: All dialogs are very slow and boring. I’ve seen several scenes from different dubbed versions and they seem to be far more interesting and thrilling. (And don’t forget all films with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer… :wink: ).

Christopher Walken, Nicholas Cage, William Shatner etc all have very distinct ways for speaking that they´re famous for that get totally lost

Thomas Danneberg may have the coolest voice ever but Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger loose much of their distinction when he voices them both.

In the german dub neither Bela Lugosis Dracula nor Count von Count (who parodies him) speak with an accent.

Disctinct accents get lost, too seeing John Oliver on Community was downright painful.

The sole reason Sam Jackson calls Tim Roth “Ringo” in Pulp Fiction is because of his british accent, that gets totally lost in the german translation.

Watching The Longest Day I really had to watch the hats of the uniforms to tell who is who, because it was in black and white and everyone was speaking german!

I can give you one exception, though.

When I watch the original dub of Land Before Time I thought “well Pat Hingle is fine as the narrator but he´s no Ernst Wilhelm Borchert”. Borchert was famous as the german voice of Henry Fonda and Alec Guiness, he WAS Obi Wan and hearing him narrate Land Before Time is one of the most beautiful things ever.

1 Like

To those who watched the third episode (The truth is out there x2):
I didn’t understand it.
Spoiler request:

how come they both died in the same way? Who was the real murder?

I can reply to this now!

I really liked that episode. Both the main story and the Mulder-Scully 'shipper bits (“you’ve still got some scoot in your boot” :laughing: (not sure how that translates to Italian!)) It felt like a classic X-File (reminded me of the episode ‘Fight Club’ a bit).

It was a bit confusing though. To answer your question I think they died the same way because that’s how the evil twin planned it, but because they were fighting over which agent to kill, they both ended up dead.

Edit: spoiler tags now sorted. Panic over. *breathe* was worried I’d ruined that for Milan then. I’m quite hot and flustered after that, phew.

1 Like

No worries, didn´t see anything before the edit! :+1: