Thimbleweed Park Italian fan dub Project - Official Thread(TM)

Like my garage at 6.30 am. Sometimes I tried to record after work, but those files are full of me swearing because a new car arrived. Or like that time that my neighbor decided it was time to vacuum his car. And the fact that I was recording Ransome didn’t help in calming my mood :stuck_out_tongue:

My apartment is extremely quiet. The “covers” trick might do for my wife, if she agrees :stuck_out_tongue: as @Gffp said in the Italian Telegram group, “so you’re telling me that under the covers is even better than in the car?” :smirk::smirk::smirk:

4 Likes

When I recorded my co-worker for voicing Leonard, we were in my car, parked in the local Hospital park. A very quite place! I felt uncomfortable to the idea to bring my co-worker in my bed with me…

Me too, but no shots. Just some big ass cargo planes once in a while.

What about a bed fort?

bed%20fort

4 Likes

These are my problems when I have to record some stuff (and that’s why I asked). :slight_smile: So your solution was: Just wait and do it again.

But recording at 6:30 in the morning in a car is an interesting alternative … :slight_smile:

I would have more guessed that this helped. :wink:

Ah, a mobile recording studio… :thinking:

:astonished: Is this yours?

Sadly not.

1 Like

Ahah Yes! And it’s a very good free recording studio! No echo. You have only to pay attention to the external sounds.

1 Like

grafik

1 Like

Gugaffpweed McKremapark!
…ok, I think I need to catch up on some sleep now :joy:

5 Likes

Sounds like “Starbucks - The next generation” … :slight_smile:

btw: Only in Italy you can get the best Cappuccino of the world and the universe! (Great. Now I need I coffee…)

No problem. We keep this forum running. :wink:

5 Likes

To boldly brew what no barista has brewed before.

3 Likes

We have three or four italian dubbing threads… should we ask to merge them into one?

PS: none of these threads is OT-free.

YEAH!!!

2 Likes

That’s why I would vote against your idea: The result would be a little bit chaotic. :wink: But maybe we can rename the threads (“Italian Dubbing progress #1”, “Italian Dubbing progress #2” or something like this) so that you can easily see the order of the threads.

1 Like

Don’t normalize, it’s nearly useless for voice. If you have one loud syllable in a sentence, the normalization will make sure it’s at 0 db (loudest that can be) but the rest of the sentence will still be quiet. What you really need is dynamic compression and limiting (it’s bit confusing but limiting is a form of compression too). This will make the words in a sentence more even (quiet parts are more audible) and you have a right tool to make different voices at the same level. Compression is a part of every pro voice recording, it’s worth to check out.

5 Likes

Thanks, my goal is to make sure that the overall volume of each sentence is more or less the same (highest peak at 0 db).

Usually I highlight the part with the peak, and reduce its volume to 0 db at max, leaving the rest unchanged.

Does the dynamic compression tool make the same thing automatically?

I think you’re describing something backwards, because 0 db is max (the scale is from minus infinity), so you can’t have anything beyond that (in an 16-bit file anyway). But yeah, I’m pretty sure compression is the tool to get what you’re doing now. Compressor will gradually reduce all the peaks beyond a threshold you set up. Limiter will not let anything through that threshold (that’s why usually it’s set at 0 db or slightly less to prevent distortion).

Yes, you can say it’s automatic but it can be tricky to set up, so there’s the problem - often compressors have intimidating GUI. A plugin called Waves RVox is very easy and gives good results but it’s not free. You can get similar results with any free compressor, it’s just a matter of setting it up. I know Audacity has a leveler which is a form of compression as well, so it may be worth to check out.

I know this may sound intimidating, but it’s really worth it to investigate compression when working with audio.

Below you have an example how it works. This is the same file, before and after compression. Both examples are normalized to 0db. There is a marker “3” there, that’s where the loudest peak is in. It prevents the rest of the audio from being louder because you can’t get it over 0db. After compression it has been reduced and you can see the peak in the middle now reaches 0 db as well. Everything in between is more even.

2 Likes

I am used to Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition). In the “Amplitude” function, I should find something similar to the compression you just described above.
Thanks.

Sorry, I thought you used Audacity. Yes, AA is a powerful software, I’m sure it has all the tools.

My fault, I was not clear in my exposition, but @Guga is using Audacity.