What's for dinner?

I did consider adding that, even though it’s not a real thing :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah! That’s the thing. It’s a sudtiroler food, so it’s quite a crossover italian/german thing.
I do it at low flame with a cover.

The package says there are three ways to do it.

Microwave (fastest)
Oven (as suggested by the name)
In the pan (which I assume is how you did that, though I don´t have a flame).

Might want to make up my mind on the best method first.

No problem if you don’t have a real flame. I think in the pan is easier. In the microwave is faster just as long as you manage to avoid the McKracken effect.

1 Like

Haha, I doubt that will happen in the suggested 40 seconds at 400 watts temperature. :laughing:

But with the pan you’ll get that nice brown crust…

True but the bacon might come off.

I´m still tending towards the oven, I think.

“Live dangerously” is my creed, Mr. Holtz.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Fahrn Danger Holtz.

3 Likes

Comté is certainly interesting. You’re missing something like a good Stolwijker, or more generally raw milk farmhouse cheese.

I don’t really like Gorgonzola, but perhaps I haven’t had any good one.

No love for Stilton? :wink:

Oh, right. The oven.
You might go for the scientific approach and make one in the pan and bake the second in the oven. Well, let me know. Anyway.

1 Like

I’m taking notes.

Oh, some search results suggest it’s a type of gouda - maybe it’s similar?

I like Stilton, but tend to prefer softer blue cheeses like gorgonzola or cambozola.

We Dutch people would give you the stink eye for it, but I suppose you could consider most hard Dutch cheeses a “type of Gouda.” But really all that means is that it’s a hard cheese with a roughly similar production process (which doesn’t use cheddaring, for example). Quality and flavor can vary wildly. I’ve tasted some Greek “gouda” once that was just abysmal, which is kind of funny because there’s some pretty horrible “Greek-style cheese” made around here as well. By contrast, there’s some cheap Dutch factory made Gouda style cheese of astoundingly high quality. They’ve really got that process figured out.

I read an article in Le Monde a couple of years ago that while Stilton sales are increasing in France and the Benelux, British people are increasingly shunning it because “eww mold.” (That’s almost verbatim. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Well I’ve never heard anyone I know say that. My acquaintances and I are highly educated dontcha know :wink:

1 Like

:ear: :fire:

1 Like

Me neither, I was just quoting Wallace above.

I’m actually not a fan of the softer Brie like cheeses (though I do love goat cheese).
We used to have a lot of food-days in my French class where the professeur was always talking about Brie, and I always felt sick afterwards. I made the mistake of telling them that and they all looked at me with horreur!

1 Like

Have you ever tried a good Gorgonzola sauce, nutmeg, with Penne?

If you like this direction, you might enjoy Roquefort with chicory, walnuts and blue grapes (pan meal).

2 Likes

There’s brie and there’s brie. I actually have a pretty decent mass market pasteurized (!) brie in my fridge right now.

But of course I’ll take a raw-milk Camembert (de Normandie) or Neufchâtel over brie any day.

I don’t like Brie de Meaux that much — I mean, it’s more than adequate — but Brie de Melun is definitely good cheese.

Soft goat cheeses are great, but so are “gouda style” regular Dutch goat/sheep cheeses. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed!

Now THAT´s a Brie! :heart_eyes:

1 Like