Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders playthrough and hints

Super massive spoiler ahed:

in 1988 I had no difficulty in resolving the DAT puzzle, because it was a really common thing among us teens. Everyone knew what to do to record sound over a used cassette tape, it was easy.
Now, you must know what a cassette tape is, and there were two little holes, which if taped, could let you record again. For sure, asking mr Google help, if you use the right words.

Again, massive-you-know-what: A cassette, yes, but not a Digital Audio Tape (DAT). And at that time “cash cards” or credit cards were very uncommon in Germany.

@Frenzie you have finished myself recently, and you were born after 1990.
How did you solve the puzzle --> where you must use the vynil tape on the DAT to record over the sound?
Did you know everything or it happened by chance?

1 Like

Yeah, the difference between the two objects is only the high fidelity. The mechanism for the solution of the puzzle, is the same.

blur that spoilery spoiler in the middle of the sentence!

vynil sounds like an indian word. How do you make tape from that?

BLUR those spoilers! (in your case, the whole line)

Nah, not the whole.

1 Like

:see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Do you need any hints for anything, @PiecesOfKate? :smiley:

1 Like

Not yet, thanks :slight_smile: I need to go back to an earlier save first.

2 Likes

Jeez, I had jumped down the plane too early, and I had completely missed the huge alien spaceship. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We know! :joy:

I was?

I saw the Berlin Wall fall live on TV and I was born prior to the fallout of 26 April 1986, meaning I spent the first spring and summer of my life pretty much locked up inside.

I had to tape over the write protection on a micro SD card just recently, just like on SD cards, floppy disks, etc. etc.. I didn’t know if a “DAT” was even real or completely imaginary but it was very much one of the more straightforward puzzles. The hard part was figuring out that you needed to record something in the first place.

@ZakPhoenixMcKracken I threw out the micro SD 'cause it was completely busted but here’s a pic of an adapter I taped ~5 years ago.

1 Like

Never mind him, he sometimes gets confused. He thought @PiecesOfKate was a man for almost an entire year. :wink:

Digital Audio Tape, as weird as it sounds was a thing but not the most common one so it is more or less a scene thing than an age thing if you know it or not. I recorded on one at least as late as 2004.

I myself grew up taping video and audio cassettes in order to reuse them. I believe even if you were born after 1990 you still grew up mostly analogue.

My timeline was like this:

CDs: 1995
CD Roms: 1996
DVDs: 2002

1 Like

You had/have a DAT recorder/player? :open_mouth: These things were expensive and very rare. (According to Wikipedia Sony sold only 660,000 DAT related things. I wouldn’t trust this number but I’ve never seen a real DAT recorder in my life.) And even my friends in my age don’t know what DAT actually is/was.

I only know minidisks and whatever you call those little tapes in camcorders. (For digital recording on physical media of such nature.)

:neutral_face::sweat_smile: sorry.

2 Likes

Nope, wasn´t my own. And it was connected to a professional soundboard. I think David choose it in 1988 because it was the latest greatest and it was one of the things he thought might catch on until 1997. He was right on paperless payment (though we weren´t as far there yet in 1997 as we are now).

1 Like