Tell me your dreams

I’ve had a recurring dream tonight. And it was a lucid variant too!!

So I was driving in a car in an area with lots of water. Think of New York with its bridges. The goal I have is to jump with my car over the water (surely falling in would mean instant death). So I am on a piece of road which is below the bridge and I need to make a jump at full speed to reach the first bridge base which is around 100m further. So far so good, I hit the concrete of that base but then I see the distance I need to jump next and I brake because this is like 200m and I am not going fast enough. I come to a complete stop just before the ledge and look backward and see that this ponton is only 20 m across. I then realise I cannot back up and take that second jump. But even worse I realise I am stuck because I won’t even make the first jump back (100m).

Then I became lucid and realised I’ve had this or similar dreams before. So what I did next was to deliberately drop down with my car from the ledge and while the water surface was coming closer and closer while I fell, I thought “take that, dream! I bet you did not foresee this and nothing will happen when I hit the water.”

And indeed, as I hit the water, nothing happened. No 3rd person view of the splash, no continuity of a drowning, no pain, no nothing…
As if the dream admitted “ok, you got me.”
I remember feeling victorious for a moment (because despite my confidence that this was really a dream, there was still a tiny bit of anxiety) and then simply another dream started. No lucidity there or any specific memories of it.

2 Likes

That has undertones of Sonic in it :smile: though that’s probably not where it comes from if it’s recurring.

That’s a really interesting lucid transition. The fact that you were able to jump off the ledge and not wake up is impressive.

The kind of absurdity in the ground shortening reminds me of a recurring dream my mum used to have. She was in a car and trying to pull the seat forward, but every time she did, the whole back of the car moved forward and scrunched up like a concertina :laughing:

Well, I have to admit that playing Sonic today resonated a bit (with those waterfalls in the background and so on). But the theme car+falling in water predates Sonic (I once posted about my oldest recollection of a recurring dream, which already had those elements).

The jumping part was new, and might have been Sonic induced (though I didn’t play for over a week) and could have been one of the things that triggered the lucidity.

1 Like

Speaking of lucid dreams, as I said in the “song of the day” topic a couple of days ago I dreamed of flying (and playing Dinosaur Prince of Persia). But I didn’t say that my flying was lucid.

It was the first time that, after noticing I was dreaming, I tried to fly and managed to take off. I did not fly for long, it was kind of a low-gravity thing, but it was cool.

I never got back to normal dreaming after a lucid dream. I usually wake up.

I had the “house” dream again. Maybe because yesterday I had guests and I had to show them my apartment.

The structure of the house is always the same: three stories, where the middle floor has a central corridor where on the left side there are bedrooms and on the right side living rooms, and there’s always a staircase in the back.
This time, however, the house was located in a hilly village and the third floor was actually “ground floor” for a road in the back. And part of the third floor was a newsstand, which belonged to the house, but it had public access from the road. As it was my parents’ house and I was to be the owner in the future, I wanted to ask how it worked: was the place rented? Who owned all the newspapers and magazines, who ordered them, to whom belonged the earnings from the sales? I asked the girl working there, but she told me “you just have to take care of the control group”, and I didn’t know what it meant.

2 Likes

This:

1 Like

I had LOTS of dreams today, as I got woken up like 30 times by my daughter, who is sleeping with me (we don’t have child beds in my mother-in-law’s house) and moves like a fidget spinner on steroids. I don’t remember any of them except one, that was pretty unsettling.

Well, except for the fact that the villains were the cars from Cars, the Pixar movie.

I was living in a world where we had no free will, because we were ruled by machines. Sentient cars were constantly keeping an eye on humans, and they could read our minds and punish us if we even thought of rebellion. But somehow I got the gift of premonition, so I began using it against the cars. When the police car from Cars went to scold me because I wasn’t following their orders, I anticipated what he was going to say. When I noticed he was baffled, I took advantage and raised a small rebellion. I remember that after a while I found the core of the human mind, where the machines were keeping their hack to keep humans under control. It was like a punch card code, on a strip, that was ran on a machine, executed along all human minds to disallow free will. I was trying to decode it, but then I just thought that I could easily rip that addition in order to run the original cose. I was excited, I said “if I remove this part, we will get our free will back and be finally free”, but I woke up before I could save humanity. It would have made a nice sci-fi novel anyway.

And now our usual episode of “Things my daughter says while sleeping”, now starring Alice. She woke up while screaming “Ilaria took a bite of my cookie!”. I laughed, and she angrily said “no, I don’t like it”. I had to explain that it was just a dream.

4 Likes

Spain vs Mexico, 0-0 and it’s the 89th minute. Should I post this in the world cup thread?

2 Likes

Well Spain is playing today, but not against Mexico… and thankfully it can’t end in a tie.

So your dream was a cliffhanger? The final minutes, tie game, and you wake up! :smile:

Hopefully it doesn´t get resolved with Patrick Duffy standing in his shower.

Now THAT was a joke for the really :older_man: :older_woman: among us! swings golf club :golfing_man:

Despite never having watched a single minute of Dallas, I know about that.

1 Like

Ditto!

So how about that golf club swinging thingy?

no idea? Hole-in-one? Swingin sixties? :man_shrugging:

Bob Hope

I have a friend, let’s call him John Smith, who is the biggest adventure game fan. Today I dreamed that a new Sam & Max game was out, titled “Sam and Max go to Central Park the John Smith-er way”. I went to his house to ask why his name was on a Sam and Max title, and what is the most John Smithey way to get to Central Park, and I find him half-naked, flossing his teeth with one of his chest hairs.

Thank God I don’t remember more.

4 Likes

Maybe he paid to have his name on the title, and now he can’t afford floss.

4 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting: (unless he’s like Gaston in Disney’s The Beauty and the Beast!)

There is this old italian saying that translates to:“That guy is so sexy he flosses with his chest hair”

OH, PROOF THERE ISN’T!

3 Likes

I’m a little unclear about whether the chest hair was still attached while he was flossing, or if he plucked it first. I guess it was attached otherwise @Guga wouldn’t have known that’s what it was. And that could open up all sorts of wild theories.

2 Likes