The official language thread

Let’s ask @Calypso to split this then! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Getting back on the language/toilet topic…

We (in Belgium) also have another expression: “mijn patatten afgieten” which translates to “pouring/draining the water from my (cooked) potatoes”

3 Likes

Ouch!

1 Like

:thinking: :astonished: :woman_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

(Unless there’s three or more…)

:thinking:
If it burns when you pee, see a doctor. :rofl:

2 Likes

:airplane:
:no_mouth:

Never mind :laughing:

2 Likes

Actually that’s a huge campaign in Germany:

2 Likes

grafik

1 Like

Bericht uit/Botschaf aus Darmstadt. :wink:

Edit: that’s something my German grandma used to say.

2 Likes

Wow. i spotted a false friend.
Cravatta, in italian, means “tie”. If you want to indicate a cravat, in italian you should say “plastron”.

1 Like

That’s interesting :slightly_smiling_face: I guess that happens a lot, where we take a ‘fancy-sounding’ common foreign word and use it to mean a special version of something :smile: like ‘genre’ and ‘café’.

In looking for examples I’ve just discovered that ‘gift’ means ‘poison’ in German, and ‘Sean Bean’ means ‘old lady’ in Irish.

4 Likes

That’s right. :slight_smile:

Another common German false friend is “Chef”. In German a “Chef” is the boss of a company.

1 Like

Well, both “chef” and “boss” mean “chief”.

In italian the chef is the chief of the cooks, while the boss is the chief of the mafia…

2 Likes

And similarly ‘chief’ in French :slightly_smiling_face: just us who use it wrong!

In English “chef” is a cook - or am I wrong? (“Chef” is in books the classic example of a false friend…)

1 Like

There was a Get Smart Episode that involves native americans and obviously lots of indian chiefs. They did a longer pun routine involving Control´s Chief (who is the “Chef” in german while indian chiefs are “Häuptlinge” [lit trans. headlings]). I can´t remember how they translated that bit but I remember it was very awkward.

A chef is the boss of the kitchen.

An internship in a kitchen is called a stage (pronounced as in French).

In French these words just mean boss and internship. In English they’re cooking-specific, but they effectively still mean the same thing.

Cravat. I’ve learned it from Ace Attorney:
Bratsworth

Littlefranzy

3 Likes

Another one who doesn’t like Interview with the vampire?

(Sure, sure, the book was better…)

3 Likes